You are here

1.3 Million Light Switches Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

Idea Village Products Corp., of Wayne (formerly of Fairfield), N.J., recalled about 1.3 million Handy Switch, Wireless Light Switches. The light switch receiver, which fits into the wall outlet, can overheat and pose a fire hazard to consumers.

The firm has received 14 reports of overheating, including nine reports of fire, five of which involved property damage such as minor damage to curtains, bedding or walls.

The Handy Switch is a white plastic wireless remote light switch with model number KS-080 printed on the back of the receiver. On the front of the receiver is a blue electroluminescent nightlight.

The Handy Switch, manufactured in China, was sold at mass merchandisers and drug store chains nationwide, through television infomercials and the Internet from March 2007 through July 2009 for between $10 and $15.

Consumers should immediately unplug and stop using the product and contact Idea Village to learn about free remedy options.

For additional information, contact Idea Village toll-free at (888) 655-4339 between 5 am and 6 pm PT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.handyswitchrecall.com.

Firm's Media Contact: David Epstein at (800) 765-2994.

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including a picture of the recalled product, please go to:  http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10014.html.

comments