- 2 cakes baked in 1-quart Pyrex bowls
- 2 cakes baked in (12 oz) ovenproof glass bowls
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 5 banana Runts
- 1 can (16 oz) chocolate frosting
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 2 tablespoons mini-chocolate chips
- 2 Junior Mints
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A chopstick or wooden dowel
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cakes:
- Trim the top side of all of the bowl cakes to make level.
- Trim ½ inch from the curved bottom of one (1-quart) cake and place it wide side up on a serving platter. Spread the top of the cake with some of the chocolate frosting. Place the other quart cake on top, flat side down to make a ball.
- Repeat the trimming and assembling process with the 2 (12 oz) bowl cakes.
- Spread some frosting on the top of the larger ball and place the smaller ball cake on top as the head. Insert a chopstick or wooden dowel in the center to help balance the cakes (see template).
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on the front of the larger ball cake for the owl's chest. Make smooth. Dot the chest with the mini-chocolate chips as seen in photo.
- Separate the Oreo cookies, leaving the cream on one side of 2 cookies for the eyes.
- Cut one of the cream-free Oreo cookies in half with a serrated knife to make the ears. Press the cut cookies into the top of the cake for the ears.
- Spread the remaining chocolate frosting over the top, sides and cookie ears. Make the head area smooth. Using the back of a spoon, lightly press against the chocolate frosting and pull to make feather-like peaks all over the body of the owl.
To complete the decoration:
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of frosting on the head area and attach the cookies with cream for the eyes. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting on the cookies and add the mints as the pupils.
- Insert one banana Runt below the eyes for the owl's beak. Insert the remaining banana Runts into the bottom of the white chest area for the owl's feet.