MAKES: 24 cupcakes
PREP TIME: 1 Hour
START TO FINISH: 2 Hours 5 Minutes
- 2 1?3 cups all-purpose fl our
- 2 1?2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1?2 teaspoon salt
- 1?2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1?4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1?2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1?2 cup apple juice
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- See Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon red paste food color
- 12 thin pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
- 16 spearmint leaf gumdrops
- 12 gummy worm candies, cut in half, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Grease and fl our muffin cups, or spray with baking spray with flour.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1?4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1?3 of mixture at a time, and apple juice, about 1?2 at a time, beating just until blended.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2?3 full.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool.
6. Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting as directed. Stir in food color paste. Frost cupcakes.
7. To decorate cupcakes, poke 1 pretzel piece into each cupcake for stem. Cut each gumdrop leaf into 3 slices. Poke 2 gumdrop leaves into top of each cupcake on either side of pretzel stem. Poke half of gummy worm into each cupcake.
1 Cupcake: Calories 350; Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 8g; Trans Fat 0.5g); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 220mg; Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1 1?2 Starch, 2 Other Carbohydrate, 2 1?2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1?2
Sweet Success Tip
Don’t like unsweetened applesauce? Regular will taste great in these cupcakes too.
Use a Cake Mix!
Substitute 1 box yellow cake mix for the cupcakes above. Make cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes except—use 1 cup apple juice, 1?3 cup unsweetened applesauce and 3 eggs, and add 1?2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Bake and cool as directed on box. For the frosting, substitute 1 container vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting mixed with 1?2 teaspoon red paste food color. Frost and decorate as directed in recipe.