You are here

Aqua Dots Recalled -- Children Become Unconscious After Swallowing Beads

[BOLD {November 8, 2007}]

Spin Master of Toronto, Canada, along with the Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled 4.2 million Aqua Dots bead toys because the coating on the beads can be toxic when ingested. Children can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures after swallowing the beads.

The CPSC has received two reports of children vomiting and slipping into a comatose state after swallowing the recalled beads. One 20-month-old child was hospitalized and has since recovered. The second child was hospitalized for five days and it is unclear whether the child has made a full recovery.

The recall applies to all models of Aqua Dots. The recalled bead toys are available in different kits with accessories like a fan, applicator pen, design templates, and a spray bottle. Aqua Dots beads are labeled for children ages 4 and up. They were made in China and sold in mass merchandisers nationwide from April 2007 to November 2007 for $17 to $30.

Parents should immediately take the recalled Aqua Dots bead toys away from children and contact Spin Master to receive free replacement beads or a toy of equal value. For more information, call Spin Master at (800) 622-8339 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday to Friday or visit www.aquadotsrecall.com To view this entire recall, including pictures of the recalled Aqua Dots toys, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08074.html

Tags: 

comments