Baby Food Jar Garden
These pretty little flower gardens are perfect for Mother's Day, Grandparent's Day, birthdays, or just to celebrate springtime. Make one for your teacher, too!
Age: 4 and up (This project is rated EASY to do.)
What You Need
- Baby food jar with lid
- Small silk flowers
- Rolling pin
- White craft glue or hot glue gun
- Green play dough or green modeling clay (you can use our homemade play dough, recipe below)
How to make play dough:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp oil
- Green food coloring
Mix together all ingredients, adding the food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until blended smooth. Place in a plastic bag or airtight container when cooled.
What You Do
1. If using the homemade play dough, follow recipe instructions.
2. Roll out the play dough or clay with rolling pin.
3. Using the mouth of the jar as a cookie cutter, cut out a circle. (If you use the lid as the cookie cutter, you will not be able to close your jar when the time comes.)
4. Glue the play dough or clay into the lid.
5. Stick flowers into the dough or clay. If using play dough, set lids aside to dry and harden over night.
6. Screw the lid onto the jar, carefully inserting the flowers into the jar.
7. Decorate the lid however you like. (We used a scrap of felt then tied a piece of ribbon on.)
* Modeling clay can be used instead of our homemade play dough. It's inexpensive, and can be found at most craft stores in a variety of colors.
* Check the clearance racks for silk flowers, and look for flower arrangements at the dollar store as well.
* Instead of buying silk flowers, you can use toothpicks for stems and foam flower cutouts if you prefer.