Baby Swimming Lessons
What kids can do in the water, age by age - and how to have a splashing good time
5 and up
Your child can...
- Put together all the pieces (arm and leg movements, breathing) to begin learning actual swim strokes.
- Jump and learn to dive into the pool.
- Work on floating and gliding skills.
Fun ways to learn
- Fill colored plastic eggs with pennies, then have your child swim down to retrieve them.
- To practice her gliding, she can blast off like a rocket ship from the side of the pool.
- Encourage those underwater somersaults: They're good preparation for learning flip turns.
Keep in mind...
- Looking for a class? The best size is no more than six kids per teacher.
- Go over the pool safety rules with your child each time you go there.