Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, cut up
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 Tbs diced red onion (about 1/4 onion)
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
Pita bread, bite-size pieces of cooked steak or carrot and celery sticks
1. Put the beans, tomato, garlic, onion, lime juice and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Transfer to a bowl and top with sour cream, if using. Serve with pita bread, steak or carrots and celery.
How kids can help: Rinse and drain beans; arrange platter of dippers.
Per serving: 35 calories, 0 g fat, 66 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.