Save yourself the time and effort of cutting and peeling -- buy frozen or fresh chunks of pre-cut butternut squash.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
* 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 3 Tbs olive oil
* 2 cups butternut squash chunks, thawed if using frozen
* 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
* 2 cups Arborio rice
* 3 Tbs softened butter
* 3 Tbs grated parmesan
* 1 tsp salt, or to taste
* Pinch of black pepper, or to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the squash and onion; cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of broth and simmer, stirring, over low heat until broth is absorbed. Keep stirring and adding the broth 1 cup at a time until it becomes absorbed. The whole process will take about 20 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the butter, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Stir the mixture into the risotto. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or parmesan if desired.
How kids can help Measure ingredients; stir parmesan mixture into risotto.
Per serving: 284 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated), 341 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol