Makes 3 dozen bars
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or butterscotch baking chips
- Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend the cake mix, eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes until all dry ingredients are moistened. Mix in the chocolate chips.
2. Press dough into greased or lined 13 X 9-inch pan. If desired, sprinkle with pecans, gently pressing into dough.
3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until the bars are golden brown and just barely set at center. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool completely. Cut into bars or squares.
Variations for Butterscotch Blondies
Toffee-Apple Blondies: Prepare as directed but substitute 1 cup chopped dried apples and 1/2 cup toffee baking bits for the chocolate chips (pecans are still optional).
White Chocolate Blondies: Prepare as directed but omit the brown sugar, substitute vanilla cake mix for the yellow cake mix, use white chocolate chips in place of semisweet chocolate chips, and use 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in place of the vanilla extract. If nuts are desired, substitute an equal amount of sliced or slivered almonds for the pecans.
© Sourcebooks, Inc. The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book by Camilla Saulsbury