Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 oz preshredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
* Steamed or raw bite-size pieces of broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas or cauliflower florets
1. Rub the inside of a pot with the garlic pieces. Discard garlic.
2. Heat pot over medium-low heat. Add butter. As it melts, add flour and mix well. Slowly add milk and continue to mix. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture begins to thicken and becomes smooth, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the cheese, two tablespoons at a time, adding more as it melts. Mix well until all the cheese is incorporated, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add lemon juice, if using.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and transfer to a bowl. Allow it to cool a bit. Serve with vegetables.
How kids can help: Rub garlic inside pot; arrange vegetables on platter.
Per serving: 179 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated), 199 mg sodium, 44 mg cholesterol.