Cheeseburger Stuffed Potatos
PREP: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp Worcestershie sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt, plus 1/4 tsp Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp plain low-fat yogurt
6 slices American cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Prick potatoes several times with a fork and place them directly on oven rack. Bake until tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
2. While potatoes are baking, heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the beef, stirring to break it up, and cook about 5 minutes, until browned.
3. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Cook another 5 minutes.
4. Remove potatoes from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut them in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl, leaving some behind to keep the shells intact. Mash potatoes lightly with a fork, then mix in the butter, yogurt, and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
5. Fill each potato shell with about 2 Tbsp of the cooked hamburger mixture, then top with about 3 Tbsp of the potato mixture, mounding slightly. Top with a slice of American cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per Serving 413 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated), 708 mg sodium, 57 mg cholesterol
Quickie-side suggestion: Toss a bag of chopped romaine lettuce with 6 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Salad doesn't get much easier!
Ideas for picky eaters: This is a way fun dish to eat, so you may luck out. If not, just deconstruct it: Put a little mashed potato and beef on the side, and let him eat his cheese straight out of the wrapper.
Simple Roasted Turkey Breast
PREP: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 to 2 hours
1 whole turkey breast, about 5 to 6 pounds
4 small onions, quartered
3 cups baby carrots
1 bag (9 oz) frozen artichoke hearts, slightly thawed (optional)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Half a lemon
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp each dried rosemary, thyme, and oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place turkey breast in roasting pan (rounded side up) and surround with vegetables. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over the vegetables and rub turkey skin with remaining oil.
2. Squeeze the lemon juice over the vegetables and turkey, and season everything with salt and pepper. Spread herbs evenly over the turkey skin.
3. Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (or until an instant-read thermometer measures 165°F in the thickest part of the breast). Toss the vegetables once halfway through cooking.
4. Transfer the breast to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Slice thinly and serve with roasted vegetables.
Per Serving: 542 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated), 415 mg sodium, 173 mg cholesterol
Quickie-Side Suggestion Heat olive oil in a skillet, and stir in 1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta. Add 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until pasta is just tender. Stir in peas and a handful of parmesan cheese.
Monday thru Friday
5 meals ready in minutes:
Monday: Beany Burritos Spread canned low-fat refried beans on a tortilla and top with shredded cheese, salsa, and avocado slices. Roll up, wrap in a wet paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds. Idea for pickier eaters: Omit the beans and add more cheese.
Tuesday: Sizzling Steak Fry Place thinly sliced skirt steak in a hot skillet and sear until cooked. Remove from pan; add thinly sliced potato rounds and brown until crisp. Serve with steamed broccoli with cheese.
Wednesday: Inside-Out Grilled Ham and Cheese Spread honey-mustard on bread. Add slices of ham and cheese. Close sandwiches, spritz outsides with cooking spray; grill in a hot, buttered skillet. When the first side is golden, flip and top with a slice of cheese. Cover and heat until cheese is bubbly.
Thursday: Spaghetti Pie Toss cooked spaghetti with a little olive oil, grated parmesan, and pasta sauce, and place in a greased pie plate. Pour 2 beaten eggs over the spaghetti, then top with shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbly, about 25 minutes.
Friday: Breakfast For Dinner Whisk ½ cup Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, and 2 mashed bananas. Add the mixture to ¼ cup boxed pancake mix. Add milk until thick. Make pancakes.
Need ideas for the rest of the month? Check out all the dishes at Parenting.com/recipes.