Chicken Kebabs Recipe
A healthy way to serve chicken breast--on kebabs! Served with delicious, kid-friendly couscous.
- Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon
- Garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1¼ lb (625 g), cut into 1½-inch (4-cm) cubes
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Red bell pepper (capsicum), 1 large, seeded and cut into pieces
- Instant couscous, 1 cup (6 oz/185 g)
- Fresh cilantro (fresh coriander), 2 tablespoons chopped
1. Prepare the grill. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct grilling over high heat (see page 97 for details). Soak 4 bamboo skewers in water to cover while the grill heats, then drain just before using.
2. Prepare and grill the kebabs. In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic powder, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the oil to coat. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss again to coat. Divide the chicken and bell pepper pieces among the skewers. Lightly oil the grill rack. Place the kebabs on the grill and cover. Grill, turning occasionally, until the chicken is browned and feels firm when pressed, 8–10 minutes.
3. Make the couscous. While the chicken is grilling, in a small saucepan over high heat, combine 1½ cups (12 fl oz/375 ml) water and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous and return to a boil. Cover tightly and remove from the heat. Let stand until the couscous absorbs the water, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Serve the kebabs with the couscous.
Some markets carry ready-to-grill chicken-and-vegetable skewers. Make sure they are not already marinated before you buy them, or you won’t taste the Moroccan spices in this recipe. Mix together the oil and spices and then brush onto the assembled skewers.
Recipe from Meals in Minutes Everyday Grilling, copyright 2011, Weldon Owen Inc.