Chicken-Spinach Pie with Mashed-Potato Crust
A week of dinners for the whole crew
Chicken-Spinach Pie With Mashed-Potato Crust
PREP: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
SERVES: 4 to 6
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp milk
3/4 tsp salt
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1½ tsp fresh)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until tender.
2. While potatoes are boiling, set oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a heavy-bottomed skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat.
3. Add carrots, onion, and thyme. Cook until slightly browned, stirring often.
4. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Turn off heat; stir in spinach, ricotta, and salt.
5. Drain potatoes well, then return to pot. Add olive oil, milk, and salt, and mash till smooth (some lumps are okay).
6. Place chicken mixture in a 9-inch pan, and top with mashed potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes. To brown the potatoes, broil for 5 more minutes.
Quickie-side suggestion: Combine your family's favorite salad greens with sliced apples and toasted walnuts. Dress lightly with a red-wine vinaigrette.
Ideas for picky eaters: If your kid won't go for everything mixed together, set aside some mashed potatoes, chicken pieces (be sure to cook them through), and carrots (steam some chunks in the micro). A balanced meal -- and nothing touches!