Yield: 12 bugs
24 caramel candies, such as Brach's Milk Maid Caramels
Red licorice laces, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup milk- or semi-sweet chocolate chips
For decorating: sliced almonds, red hots, colored candies, sprinkles
Safety note: Always supervise children under 4 with small candies, raisins, and other choking hazards.
1. Flatten each caramel into a circle between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
2. lace 3 pieces of licorice on each side of 12 of the caramel circles for legs. Top with remaining caramel circles and press closed.
3. Melt chocolate in a small bowl in microwave for 60 seconds, stirring halfway through, until smooth.
4. With a butter knife, spread the top of each bug with chocolate to cover.
5. Decorate with sliced almonds for wings and red hots for eyes, or let kids use any Halloween candy you have on hand.