Prep time: 30 minutes
Freezing time: at least 2 hours
Yield: 20 servings
This recipe can be prepared up to two weeks in advance, and kids will enjoy helping.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12-inch springform pan
- 1 9-ounce package chocolate wafers
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 2 to 2½ quarts each of vanilla and chocolate ice cream -- or any two flavors of your choice
- ½ of a 20-ounce bag of Oreos (about 40)
- Sprinkles, M&Ms, Sno-Caps, or other small edible cake decorations
1. Coat the bottom and sides of springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Crush wafers in food processor until very fine. Mix well with melted butter to make crust. Press wafer mixture in bottom of pan and freeze 10 to 15 minutes to set.
3. Microwave one flavor of ice cream on low for 15 seconds. Mix with electric mixer until creamy but not melted (about 1 minute). Remove pan from freezer and smooth ice cream over wafer crust. Freeze for 20 minutes to set.
4. Remove pan from freezer. Break about 25 Oreo cookies into large pieces and layer on ice cream.
5. Microwave second ice cream and proceed as before. After the second layer is added, freeze the whole cake for 1 hour.
6. Remove from freezer and decorate with a generous layer of sprinkles, M&Ms, or Sno-Caps. Cover with aluminum foil and keep frozen until party time.
7. Ten minutes before serving, remove from freezer and place warm, wet towels around pan. Carefully remove the side of the pan and decorate perimeter of cake with whole Oreo cookies.
Note: If your freezer cannot accommodate a 12-inch springform pan, use two 8-inch pans.