Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Baking Time: About 10 Minutes
Yield: 12 Cookies
* Nonstick cooking spray
* 1/2 batch Basic Cookie Dough
* Flour for dusting rolling pin
* 1/2 batch Vanilla Icing, or 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
* 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
For extra holiday spirit, tint the vanilla icing red or green.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Remove dough from refrigerator (or freezer); knead it 4 or 5 times on work surface to soften. Roll to 1/2 inch thick with a lightly floured rolling pin. Cut out cookies with a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
2. Bake 10 minutes or until bottoms start to brown and tops are firm. Remove with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely (at least 15 minutes); spread the icing or peanut butter on half the cookies; then assemble sandwiches.
3. Place the chocolate chips in a shallow, microwaveable bowl. Heat on high 1 minute; stir. Heat 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more, stirring every 30 seconds, until chips are melted. Dip the cookies in melted chocolate, swirling to cover 1 end. Cool on waxed paper, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.
How Kids Can Help:
* Roll and cut out cookies
* Ice and assemble the sandwiches