Classic Pot Roast
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: about 6 hours
Yield: 8 servings
* 2 1/2 lb beef brisket
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 package dried onion-soup mix
* 2 tsp dry mustard
* 3/4 cup water
* 12 baby carrots
1. Brown the brisket on all sides in a large skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with pepper. Place in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the soup mix, mustard, and water. Stir well. Pour over brisket. Add carrots to pot and stir.
3. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours -- meat will be soft and tender, almost falling apart.
4. Remove from cooker and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing thin. Serve on sandwich buns, with ketchup or mustard.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; stir together onion-soup mix, mustard, and water.
Per serving: 237 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated), 385 mg sodium, 83 mg cholesterol.