Cookie Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Surprises
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspon baking powder
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract (vanilla can be substituted for those with nut allergies)
1 bag Dove Dark chocolate promises
1 jar Black Cherry preserves (I use Polaner's All Fruit Spread)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In medium bowl, mix butter and sugar together with hand mixer until creamy. Next add the egg and almond extract to sugar mixture; beat until blended.
3. In another medium bowl mix together all dry ingredients until blended. Gradually add the dry mixture to the sugar mixture, using mixer or mix by hand.
4. Using teaspoon or cookie scoop, scoop enough dough to make a 1-inch ball. Space cookie balls at least one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes.
5. While cookies are baking place 4 or 5 chocolate pieces in a small microwave safe bowl, microwave for 30 seconds; chocolate not be completely melted. Stir to melt the rest of the way. In another small microwave safe bowl heat 2 tablespoons of cherry preserves for 10 seconds just to soften. (Note: the amounts used here for the chocolate and preserves is per batch of 9 cookies. If making more than 9 cookies at a time adjust amounts accordingly.)
6. Once cookies come out of the oven, immediately use the back of a spoon to flatten cookie and make a small indention for the preserves. Place about 1 teaspoon of preserves on each cookie, then top with melted chocolate to cover preserves. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 4-5 minutes. These can be enjoyed warm with the chocolate melted, or wait about 30 minutes for the chocolate to reharden.
Submitted by Chelsea Doyal