May 2, 2007
The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission released a statement Tuesday warning of a risk of lead exposure from baby bibs with cracked or peeling vinyl surfaces.
A risk assessment performed by the CPSC's laboratory found that none of the bibs tested posed a serious risk to children from mouthing, but that serious risk may result if a piece of vinyl was swallowed. The CPSC is advising parents and caregivers to stop using vinyl bibs that are in a deteriorated condition.
Baby bibs made of vinyl have been sold at major retail stores since 2004 and range in price from [DOLLAR]2 to [DOLLAR]7, and sometimes are sold in packs of 10. The bibs have colorful designs with a vinyl front or backing.