Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 lb egg noodles
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded turkey
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and coat a shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the noodles according to package directions, until al dente.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add flour, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually pour in broth and cook, stirring, until it thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in milk and cook until very hot and smooth, another 3 minutes.
4. Put the turkey in a bowl and add half the sauce and stir the other half into the cooked noodles. Spoon the noodles into the prepared baking dish. Top with the turkey and spread evenly.
5. Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Continue to bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crisp.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; shred turkey with fingers.
Per serving (1/6 recipe): 340 calories, 12.6 g fat (6.2 g saturated), 502 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol.
Check out other ways to use holiday leftovers.