- 5 yellow spice drops
- 2 green spice drops
- 2 tablespoons table sugar
- 1 (9-inch round) cake
- 2 cups canned vanilla frosting
- Neon purple food coloring (McCormick)
- 2 tablespoons candy decors
- Paring knife
- 2 freezer weight zip lock bags
Trimming the cake:
- Press the yellow spice drops together. Sprinkle a work surface with some of the table sugar. Roll out the yellow spice drops into a 9-inch rope, adding more sugar to prevent. Press the green spice drops together. Roll them in the table sugar, adding more sugar to prevent sticking, to a 1-1/2 inch circle.
- Cut the green spice drop circle in half to make 2 semi circles.
- Twist the yellow spice drop rope into a 3-inch pin shape. Press the 2 green pieces of spice drops over the ends to make the diaper pin head. Set aside.
Frosting the cake:
- Place the cake on a work surface. Trim a 1-inch wide piece along on side of cake. Use a 3-1/2 inch glass and cut out 2 semi circles on the opposite edge of cake about 1-3/4 inch into cake.
- Tint 1/4 cup of the vanilla frosting violet with the food coloring. Spoon the violet frosting into a zip lock bag. Spoon ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting into a zip lock bag.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the cake and make smooth.
To complete the cake:
- Snip a small corner from the bags with frostings. With the vanilla frosting, pipe 2 lines dividing the cake into 3rds as seen in the photo. Pipe an outline of violet frosting along the outer edge of the cake. Place the candy decors on the outside thirds of the diaper cake, using the tweezers for easier placement.
- Add the spice drop diaper pin to center of cake.