|Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes plus 4 hours freezing time |
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 plain hamburger buns
- 16 slices american cheese
- 3/4 cup thousand island dressing
- Lettuce, onion, and tomato slices (optional)
- Put beef, eggs, salt, and pepper into large mixing bowl; combine thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 16 portions; form each into a ball. Place each ball on a sheet of plastic wrap and press flat into a very thin patty, about 1/2 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Wrap each patty in plastic and freeze for at least 4 and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Unwrap patties and grill them, about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through (they should read 160 on an instant-read thermometer).
- Assemble burgers: Top eight bun bottoms each with a beef patty, slice of cheese, dressing, and another bun top or bottom. Top with eight remaining patties, then cheese dressing, and finish off with bun tops.
- Garnish with lettuce, onion, and tomato, if desired. Serve kids half a burger each.
|How kids can help: Measure ingredients; count out cheese slices and buns, garnish burgers.|
Per serving(1 burger): 659 calories, 33 g fat (15 g saturated), 1,487 mg sodium, 194 mg cholesterol.