A delicious and simple Easter dinner recipe your whole family will love
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
BAKING TIME: 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160°F; plan on about 30 minutes per poundServes: 8 to 10 (Don't miss the leftovers recipe at the end!)
What You'll Need:
1 (6-lb) ham, shank or rump cut
1 cup (packed) light-brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 small can (about 8 oz) crushed pineapple with syrup
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp mustard
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place the ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part (but away from the bone), and place ham in oven.
2. While the ham is roasting, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, mix the light-brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, pineapple, lemon juice, and mustard. Cook over medium heat until it boils and becomes thick; stir frequently.
3. A half hour before the ham is done, remove it from the oven and drain off any drippings. Remove any loose skin.
4. Score the fat surface diagonally in one direction and then the other to create diamonds. Insert cloves into the points; brush the surface with glaze.
5. Return the ham to the oven until the internal temperature is 160°F.
6. Allow the ham to rest 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Serve with green beans, mashed potatoes, and fruit salad.
PER SERVING (6 oz): 210 calories, 10.5 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 1,023 mg sodium, 60 mg cholesterol
Ideas for picky eaters: Cut some of the cooked ham into chunks and slide them onto wooden skewers, alternating with pineapple chunks or your child's favorite fruit.
Need ideas for the rest of the month? Check out all the dishes at Parenting.com/recipes.