Makes 2 dozen 4-inch cookies
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1 cup (1/2 a 16-ounce tub) ready-to-spread vanilla frosting
- Optional: Red Hots cinnamon candies or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix the cake mix, flour, oil, molasses, eggs, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until blended. Chill, covered, 4 hours or up to overnight.
2. Roll 1/4 of the chilled dough on floured surface (cover and return remaining dough to refrigerator) to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out shapes with 4-inch floured cutters. Transfer dough to ungreased cookie sheets or sheets lined with parchment paper with spatula. Re-roll any scraps, then repeat with remaining dough, rolling 1/4 at a time.
3. Bake 8 to 11 minutes until center is puffed and sinks back. Cool 1 minute on sheets, then remove cookies with spatula to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, decorate cookies with frosting and candies or raisins, if desired.
© Sourcebooks, Inc. The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book by Camilla Saulsbury