Yield: 8 meanies with dip
Nontoxic black marker
2 lbs fresh green beans, blanched until crisp-tender
1 Tbs orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp sugar
Cut off tops of oranges; scoop out pulp. (Slice a little off the bottoms to help them stand upright.) Use black marker to draw scary faces on 8 oranges; put small bunches of green beans in orange shells for goofy hair. For a creamy dip, mix the remaining ingredients -- or use ranch dressing. Serve in the remaining 2 shells.
Yield: 5 tortilla faces
10 six-inch flour tortillas
1¼ cups shredded orange cheddar cheese
1 celery stalk, cut into 5 one-inch pieces
1. Place a tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and cover evenly with 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Out of a second tortilla, cut eyes, a nose, and a jagged mouth.
2. Place cut-out tortilla on top of cheese-covered tortilla and microwave for about 45 seconds, or until cheese is melted.
3. Create a stem with a celery piece. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese.
Rat, bat, and cat fries
Yield: about 36 fries
6 large sweet or baking potatoes
Halloween cookie cutters
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub potatoes clean and leave peel on. Slice lengthwise into ¼-inch slabs. Place in a bowl of cold water to keep moist and prevent discoloration.
2. Press out shapes with cookie cutters; if it's hard to press cutter through potato slab, tap with a rolling pin.
3. Pat shapes dry with a paper towel, brush with olive oil, and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turning shapes once and checking frequently, until crisp on the outside and lightly browned around the edges. Serve immediately.