Egg Dinner Recipes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 eggs for the frittata, plus 1 per child
- ½ cup low fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp smoked, or regular, paprika
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup blue cheese (optional)
- 2 or 3 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Small handful green beans, ends trimmed
- 7 or 8 baby bella or small button mushrooms (about 8 ounces), sliced
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes, any variety, halved
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Whole grain bread, 1 slice per child
Hint: You can substitute any green vegetable for the beans, and omit the onions or mushrooms according to your kids' preferences.
- Pour about two tablespoons of oil into a cast iron pan (eight to ten inch diameter) over medium-high heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk eggs, milk, oregano, salt and pepper together in a medium-sized bowl. Pour a portion for the kids' scrambled eggs into a separate bowl. Set both aside for the moment.
- Sauté onions, green beans and mushrooms in cast iron pan, covered and stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Remove a small portion (enough for the kids) and set aside in a small bowl, covered to keep warm. Spread remaining vegetables evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Mix cheddar cheese into the larger bowl of eggs, and pour over sautéed vegetables in the cast iron pan. Sprinkle blue cheese and most of the tomatoes (retaining a portion for the kids) on top of egg mixture. Arrange sliced mozzarella, and sprinkle paprika, on top. Cover pan, adjust heat to medium-low, and cook for about five to eight minutes.
- Uncover pan, and place in oven. Bake in oven for ten to fifteen more minutes, checking occasionally for doneness. The frittata will be firm enough that it doesn't actually jiggle when you move the pan around. Allow to set for five minutes after removing from oven, and serve.
- Meanwhile, for the kids, place another skillet on the burner and turn heat to medium-high. Drop a pat of butter on in, melt it, and scramble the remaining eggs. Serve alongside sautéed vegetables and toast, and top the plate with a pile of sliced cherry tomatoes.