countdown to the big day
1 month before:
Put the word out about the party. If you're not up for sending formal invitations, just call or e-mail family and friends.
2 weeks before:
- Order your party supplies.
- Pick out two outfits for your baby -- one a bit fancy for pictures and another casual one for after she smooshes cake on the first!
1 week before:
Order the cake; schedule pickup for the morning of the party.
3 days before:
Call anyone you haven't heard from to get a final head count.
2 days before:
- Charge the camera! You don't want to find out the batteries are dead when she takes her first bite of cake.
- Shop for party food. Don't forget: the first-birthday candle, extra garbage bags, and paper towels.
1 day before:
- Bake and frost the cake or cupcakes (if you're making them).
- Whip up a batch of Babytalk-tinis.
- Set up decorations and paper goods once your baby's in bed.
Pick up extra ice and the cake in the morning (if you ordered one).
Make sure the cake knife, candles, matches, and camera are in a handy (and babyproof) spot.
Await the arrival of your guests!