|Prep time: 20 minutes |
Cook time: 8 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups plain couscous
- 3 cups cubed, cooked skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups mixed fruit of your choosing, cut into bite-size pieces, such as oranges, cantaloupe, peaches. berries, pineapple, apples, and grapes*
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat yougurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Leaf of lettuce for serving
*Grapes and apples can be a choking hazard for children under 4.
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over heat. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then remove the saucepan lid, fluff with a fork, and transfer couscous to a large bowl. Chill, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes in the refigerator.
- Remove the couscous from the refigerator, and add the chicken and fruit; toss to mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the yougurt, olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange juice, and lemon juice. Add the yogurt mixture to the chicken mixture and stir gently. Serve each portion on a bed of leaf lettuce.
|How kids can help: Measure ingredients, help make dressing, and stir it into chicken salad.|
Per Serving (about 1 cup): 359 calories, 4 g fat (0.9 g saturated), 332 mg sodium, and 49 mg cholesterol. The fruit makes this dish a good source of vitamin C.