- Take a piece of paper and cut it lengthwise into 4 strips.
- Fold the paper in half lengthwise and unfold.
- Fold lengthwise again into quarters, and unfold.
- Fold each of the four sections in half height-wise. You should have 8 sections.
- Compress the strip of paper along the already made creases. The pleats will look like an accordion.
- Draw a heart shape onto the top layer of paper. The rounded top-part of the heart (shown with an arrow) should not connect with the bottom part of the heart. Cut along the line making sure that you don't cut the rounded corner of the heart (they need to remain connected to one another to form a chain).
- Unfold and voilá! Repeat with the other strips of paper and connect them together with tape.
For more origami and paper craft ideas for kids, check out the Origami Resource Center.