Hot Cocoa Pudding
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 2 to 24 Hours
Serves: 6 Servings
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
3 cups low-fat milk
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream or prepared whipped cream
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Few kids can resist this luscious combination of two favorites: creamy pudding and hot cocoa. Allow ample time for pudding to chill.
1. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a boil, whisking frequently, over moderate heat until thickened, about 8 minutes.
2. Place cocoa powder in a mug and pour a ladleful of the hot milk over it, stirring well until the mixture is smooth. Add it back to the milk in the saucepan, whisking to create a smooth sauce.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks well. Gradually stir 1 cup of the thickened cocoa-milk mixture into the eggs and then pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes until it's thickened.
4. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour the pudding into a large serving bowl or 6 small cups or ramekins. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight.
5. For topping: Whip heavy cream until peaks form. Sift sugar and cocoa over cream and beat mixture until firm. To serve, spoon cocoa cream over pudding.
How Kids Can Help: Sift sugar and cocoa over cream.
266 calories, 11.4 g fat (6 g saturated), 84 mg sodium, 169 mg cholesterol