Barn Birthday Cake Design
How to make an barn birthday cake with Golden Grahams
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 (9-inch) square cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red paste food coloring
- 3 graham crackers
- 2 wheat sticks (Pringles)
- 1 ½ cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 yellow Laffy Taffy fruit chew
- 14 strands red licorice laces
- 1 square large shredded wheat cereal
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A serrated knife
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the top of the cake to make level.
- Place the cake on a work surface, trimmed side down, and cut according to the template below.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter.
- Using a serrated knife, cut a 1-inch piece from the long sides of 2 of the graham crackers.
- Cut a 2-inch square from the remaining graham cracker.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1 cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable bag.
- Add enough food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it a bright red.
- Spread the red frosting over the top and sides of cake and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Starting from the bottom edge of the roof, press the cereal pieces into the frosting, overlapping slightly until the roof shingles meet at the top.
- Press the red licorice laces into the front of the barn vertically, about 1 inch apart, for the barn's siding.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting on each corner of the graham cracker cutouts. Press the doors onto the cake side-by-side, and press the and the hay loft door near the top of cake as pictured, frosting side down.
- Pipe an outline and X onto each of the graham crackers for decoration.
- Cut one of the wheat sticks down to a 1-inch piece. Cut the yellow fruit chew into 2 small pieces and shape into an arrow tip and tail as seen in photo. Attach with some vanilla frosting.
- Insert a small piece of wheat stick under the hayloft door. Insert the remaining wheat stick into the top of the roof. Attach the arrow to the wheat stick with a dot of vanilla frosting.
- Break up the shredded wheat and arrange around the base of cake for the barn's hay.