Castle Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 5 sugar cones
- 2 Kids Cones (mini-ice cream wafer cones)
- 3 pink ice cream wafer cones
- 3 Tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ cup pink decorating sugar
- 1 (8-inch) round cake
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 jumbo cupcake, paper liner removed
- 2 cans (12 oz) whipped vanilla frosting
- 1 roll Bubble Tape
- ¾ cup Smarties
- Orange and pink Runts
- 2 bags sour gummy Life Savers
- 2 rolls Necco wafers
What you'll need:
- A serrated knife
- A pastry brush
- A bread knife
- A serving platter or a cake stand
- Craft scissors or a pastry wheel
For the turrets:
- Trim 2 of the sugar cones with a serrated knife so they can fit, mouth to mouth, into the Kids Cones.
- Trim 1 pink wafer cone, 2 inches from the base, for the top of the cake.
- Heat the light corn syrup in the microwave 5 to 10 seconds until bubbly. Caution: Hot corn syrup can burn and should not be handled by children.
- Pour the pink sugar into a dish.
- Brush the sugar cones with corn syrup and roll in the pink sugar to coat.
- Press the sugar cones upside-down into the wafer cones to make the turrets; set aside.
Trimming the cakes:
- Using a bread knife, trim the tops of the cakes to make level. Trim the 8-inch cake down into a 6-inch round.
- Place the 9-inch cake onto a serving platter or cake stand. Place the 6-inch cake on top and to one side of the larger cake.
- Place the cupcake on top of the two cake layers and to one side, as pictured.
Decorating the castle:
- Spread the cakes with vanilla frosting and make smooth.
- Trim one long side of the Bubble Tape with clean craft scissors or a pastry wheel to make a decorative edge. Press the Bubble Tape along the bottom edge of the top 2 cake layers.
- Press the Smarties into the circumference of the base of the largest cake. Press the orange Runts around the upper circumference of the middle cake layer. Press the pink Runts around the upper circumference of the bottom cake layer.
- Cut the gummy Life Savers and Necco wafers in half. Place the gummy Life Savers and Necco wafers in a decorative row along the top edge of cakes (see photo).
- Add the cone turrets on top of cake using the trimmed cone for the highest cake. Press into the frosting to secure.
- Pour the remaining pink sugar on top of the bottom cake layer.