- 1 13-by-9-inch cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- Purple food coloring*
- 11 to 12 multicolored jelly-fruit slices
- 7 yellow Runts
- 1 large bag M&M's
- 1 tube brown decorating icing
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using a bread knife, trim the top to make it level. Use the template to cut out the dinosaur shape. Use 1 Tbsp of frosting to attach the tail piece of cake.
For the red and purple frosting:
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of frosting into a small bowl and add red food coloring to tint it a dark red. Spoon the red frosting into a small resealable plastic bag.
- Add purple food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it a light purple.
Frosting the cake:
- Place the cake on a serving platter. Spread the top and sides of the cake with the purple frosting and make smooth.
- Snip a very small corner from the bag with the red frosting. Pipe a mouth with the red frosting.
For the candy decoration:
- Cut 4 of the jelly-fruit slices (one of each color) in half crosswise. Attach the whole and halved fruit slices along the dinosaur's spine for its dorsal plates (see photo).
- Press the yellow Runts into the top of the head and tail for its spikes.
- Press the M&M's (red, orange, yellow and green) all over the top of the cake for the dinosaur's spots. Insert 3 green M&M's, thin side up, as toenails on each foot. Use one brown M&M for the eye.
- Pipe an eyebrow and a nostril with the brown decorating icing.