- 1 (9 by 5-inch) loaf cake
- 1 to 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Red food coloring
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- 6 vanilla Tootsie Rolls
- 7 white Good & Plenty
- Green food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 Tbsp warm water
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A clean dish towel
- A rolling pin or a clean, heavy bottle
- Scissors or a sharp knife
- A medium bowl
Trimming the cake:
- Place cake on a serving platter. Using a bread knife, cut the cake into the shape of a football (see template). Level the sides of the cake.
Frosting the cake:
- Add the cocoa powder and a few drops of red food coloring to the vanilla frosting. Mix well to achieve the desired reddish-brown football color.
- Spread the frosting on the cake to cover completely. Let the cake stand for 30 minutes.
To finish the decoration:
- Gently press a clean dish towel against the frosting to create the football texture.
- Microwave the vanilla Tootsie Rolls for 2 to 3 seconds to soften slightly. Press the vanilla Tootsie Rolls together.
- Use a rolling pin or a clean, heavy bottle on a clean work surface to roll the vanilla Tootsie Rolls into a 2 by 8-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise with clean scissors or a sharp knife to make two 1 by 8-inch strips.
- Arrange the vanilla Tootsie Roll strips at either end of the cake, about 2 ½ inches from each tip.
- Place the white Good & Plenty on top of the football for the laces, as pictured.
For the "grass":
- Place the flaked coconut into a medium bowl. Add green food coloring, a few drops of yellow food coloring, and 1 Tbsp warm water to the flaked coconut. Rub together until all of the coconut is tinted.
- Arrange the coconut "grass" along the base of the cake.
See all 31 Incredible Birthday Cake Designs