- 1 (8-inch) round cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- 1 frozen pound cake (12 oz), thawed
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- A sheet pan
- A wax-paper-lined basket, bowl, or plate
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
- 1 mini-paper cupcake liner
For the base of the cake:
- Using the bread knife, trim the 8-inch cake to fit into a wax-paper-lined basket, bowl, or plate.
- Set aside 3 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting in a small bowl. Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the trimmed cake to cover completely.
For the french fries:
- Preheat broiler.
- Trim the darker crusts of the cake away with a bread knife. Cut the pound cake crosswise into ½-inch slices. Cut each slice into ½-inch-thick sticks.
- Spread the pound-cake sticks in a single layer on a sheet pan. Place under the broiler for 15 to 30 seconds until the tops are lightly toasted and golden brown. (Watch the pound cake carefully -- it burns easily. Turn the pound-cake sticks and repeat on each side until they are lightly toasted all over.
- Arrange the pound-cake sticks on top of the frosted cake to resemble french fries.
For the ketchup:
- Add red food coloring to the reserved 3 Tbsp of vanilla frosting to tint it the color of ketchup.
- Spoon the red frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Place the mini-paper cupcake liner on top of the "french fries." Snip a small corner from the bag with the red frosting. Pipe the red frosting into the paper liner.