Guitar Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 (8-inch) round cake
- 1 can (16 oz) chocolate frosting
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 large box chocolate-coated wafer cookies
- 2 large marshmallows
- 4 thin pretzel sticks or Pringles Stix
- 10 yellow M&M's Minis
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- A long serving platter
- 3 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)
- The lid of a frosting can or a large round biscuit/cookie cutter
Trimming the cake:
- Using a bread knife, make a 2 ¾-inch-deep curved cut from one edge of the 9-inch cake so that you can nestle the 8-inch cake into the cut area for the guitar's body (see template).
- Transfer the cakes to a serving platter. Secure cakes together with some chocolate frosting.
For the white, beige, and brown frosting:
- Spoon ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Spoon ½ cup of the chocolate frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Add 2 tsp of chocolate frosting and a few drops of yellow food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting. Mix well to achieve the guitar top's blond-wood color.
Frosting the cake:
- Spread the sides of the cakes with the remaining chocolate frosting.
- Spread the top of the cakes with the beige frosting.
- Press the lid of the frosting can into the center of the guitar body to create a round outline for the guitar's sound hole.
- Snip a very small corner from the bag of chocolate frosting. Pipe the circular area you've just marked on the cake with chocolate frosting and fill in.
For the guitar neck:
- Arrange a row of 8 chocolate-coated wafer cookies above the top of the cake for the guitar neck. Pipe some chocolate frosting on top of this row; add another layer of chocolate wafers. Pipe more chocolate frosting on top.
- Cut the marshmallows in half, crosswise. Insert a pretzel stick into the curved side of each marshmallow half to make the tuning keys. Place 2 of the marshmallow sticks on either side of the top of the guitar neck, securing with chocolate frosting.
- Add the third layer of chocolate-coated wafer cookies on top.
For the strings:
- Place one of the chocolate-coated wafer cookies onto the lower third of cake, underneath the sound hole (see photo).
- Snip a very small corner from the bag of untinted vanilla frosting. Pipe 6 lines of vanilla frosting from the top of the neck to the chocolate-coated wafer cookie near the bottom of the cake for the guitar strings.
- Add the yellow M&M's Minis to the end of each guitar string.