Gumball Machine Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 cake baked in a 1-quart Pyrex bowl
- 1 (3 by 5-inch) loaf cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red paste food coloring
- ¾ cup M&M's, mixed colors
- 4 red licorice twists
- 1 tube (4.25 ounces) black decorating icing
- 1 red lollipop (Tootsie Pop)
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- A serving platter
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the top of the bowl cake to make level.
- Cut the (3 by 5-inch) loaf cake as pictured in the diagram below. Arrange the cakes as pictured.
Frosting the cake:
- Tint 1 cup of the vanilla frosting red with the food coloring. Set aside.
- Spread the remaining plain white frosting over the bowl cake and make smooth. Attach the colored candies all over the cake starting from the base for the "gumballs".
- Spread the red frosting all over the rectangular cakes and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Trim the red licorice twists and place along the red base cake and bottom edge of top red cake, as pictured.
- Insert the lollipop into the top cake.
- Pipe a black line on the bottom red cake for the gumball machine's opening.