Hamburger Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 2 cups mini-marshmallows
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups cocoa rice cereal
- 2 (9-inch) round cakes
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- Yellow food coloring
- 10 spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 orange fruit slices
- ½ cup orange decorating sugar
- 1 tube (4.25 oz) yellow decorating frosting
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A large, microwave-proof bowl
- Waxed paper
- Scissors or a paring knife
Preparing the "patty" and cake:
- Melt the marshmallows, chocolate chips and butter in a large microwave proof bowl in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until smooth.
- Stir in the cocoa rice cereal to coat completely.
- With greased hands, shape into an 8-inch hamburger patty shape and place on a sheet of waxed paper.
- Trim the top of one of the cakes to make level and use as the hamburger's bottom bun.
- Transfer the trimmed cake to a serving platter.
Preparing the decorations:
- Cut the spearmint leaves in half. Sprinkle a work surface with some of the sugar and roll out the spearmint pieces to flatten to 1/8-inch thickness. Pinch one end of the flattened spearmint leaves to create the lettuce leaves. Repeat with the remaining spearmint leaves and sugar.
- Press 2 of the orange fruit slices together. Sprinkle the work surface with the orange decorating sugar and roll out the fruit slices to a 3-inch square, adding more orange sugar to prevent sticking,. Repeat with the remaining fruit slices. Trim each orange piece with scissors or a paring knife to simulate the corners of a square slice of cheese.
Frosting the cake:
- Add a few drops of yellow food coloring and the cocoa powder to the vanilla frosting to tint it a pale beige.
- Spread some of the beige frosting over the sides and top of the trimmed cake layer on the platter and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Cover the edge of the bottom "bun" of the cake with spearmint leaf pieces for the hamburger's lettuce leaves.
- Place the chocolate rice hamburger patty on top.
- Arrange the orange fruit slices as the cheese and let them hang over the burger slightly.
- Pipe the yellow frosting over the cheese in a wavy line across the top for the hamburger's mustard.
- Place the remaining cake layer on top. Spread the top with the remaining beige frosting and make smooth.
- Sprinkle the top with the pine nuts.