Hot Air Balloon Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 cake baked in a (1-quart) Pyrex bowl
- 1 (3 by 5-inch) loaf cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 cup Runts
- ½ cup rice Chex
- 4 strands red licorice laces
- 3 rainbow sour belts (Airheads)
- 1 wheat stick (Pringles)
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the top of the cakes to make level.
- Trim and arrange the cakes as pictured in the diagram below.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable bag. Spread some of the vanilla frosting over the balloon's basket to cover and make smooth.
- Starting along the bottom edge of the basket cake, arrange the rice cereal squares in rows to cover the sides of the balloon basket.
- Tint the remaining vanilla frosting bright yellow with the food coloring.
- Spread the yellow frosting over the balloon cake and cover completely. Make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Arrange the licorice laces and sour belts across the round cake as pictured, trimming to fit.
- Cut 4 pieces of red licorice laces to fit and attach from the bottom of the balloon to the top of the basket, as pictured.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe dots of vanilla frosting around the top of the cake. Attach the Runts in desired pattern.
- Insert the wheat stick at the top of the cake.
- Trim a triangle into either end of a (3-inch) length of sour belt. Wrap the trimmed sour belt around the tip of the wheat stick and adhere with a small amount of frosting.