- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Orange food coloring*
- 1 can (5 oz) crunchy chow-mein noodles
- 2 Junior Mints
- 1 small tube brown decorating icing
- 3 red Starburst or Jolly Rancher Fruit Chews
- 6 brown M&M's Minis
- 2 gummy peach-flavored rings [Note: there's no official name for this]
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- A resealable sandwich-size bag (Ziploc)
- A serving platter
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using the bread knife, trim a 1 by 5-inch long piece on an angle from opposite sides of the cake to create the lion's jawline (see picture). Discard scraps.
For the frosting:
- Spoon 3 Tbsp of the untinted vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag. Add the food coloring to the remaining frosting to tint it orange.
Assembling the cake:
- Place the cake on a serving platter. Spread the cake evenly with the orange frosting.
- Poke the chow-mein noodles into the sides of the cake for the mane; insert more chow-mein noodles into a widow's-peak shape into the top 2 inches of the cake to create the lion's forehead.
For the face:
- Snip a small corner from the bag of untinted vanilla frosting. Pipe two 1 ½-inch circles for the lion's eyes.
- Place the Junior Mints onto the circles for the irises. Pipe a small dab of vanilla frosting on each Junior Mint to add sparkle to the eyes. Place a chow-mein noodle above each eye for the lion's eyebrows.
- Using the brown decorating icing, pipe a W shape for the lion's mouth, as pictured.
- Microwave the red Starburst for 2 to 3 seconds to soften slightly. Knead the Starburst together to make a 1 ½-inch triangle and place it in the center of the cake for the nose.
- Add the M&M's Minis for freckles. To finish, lay the gummy peach rings on the upper left and right corners of the cake for the lion's ears.
See all Incredible Birthday Cake Designs