Martial Arts Jacket Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 (13 by 9-inch) cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- 1 tube brown decorating icing
- 1 red jelly-fruit slice
- 6 yellow Runts
- 10 yellow Starburst or Laffy Taffy
- 1 (½-inch) piece Sour Rainbow Belt
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- A serving platter
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using the bread knife, trim the top of the cake to make it level.
- Cut a 3 by 9-inch piece from one short end of the cake. Cut the 3 by 9-inch piece in half, on an angle, to create the 2 sleeves.
- Cut a 2-inch V shape from center of the cut edge of the remaining 10 by 9-inch cake to make the jacket's neckline (see diagram for details).
Assembling the cake:
- Place the 10 by 9-inch cake on a serving platter, with the notch at the top.
- Place the sleeve pieces on either side of the larger cake, turning one piece over to match. Attach the sleeves to the larger piece of cake with a small amount of vanilla frosting.
Frosting the cake:
- Cover the entire cake with vanilla frosting.
- Pipe 2 lines of brown decorating icing on each sleeve edge, the neckline, and the front of the jacket, as pictured.
- For the sun-shaped logo, arrange the red jelly-fruit slice and the yellow Runts on the breast of the jacket, as pictured.
For the decoration:
- Microwave the yellow Starburst for 2 to 3 seconds to soften slightly. Press the candies together and roll out into a 7 by 3-inch rectangle.
- Cut the rectangle into two 1 ½ by 7-inch strips to create each half of the belt. Tie the 2 candy strips together and drape over the lower part of the cake for the belt.
- For the jacket's tag, place the Sour Rainbow Belt underneath the belt tie, as pictured.