- 2 cakes baked in 1-quart Pyrex bowls
- 2 cakes baked in (12 oz) ovenproof glass bowls
- 1 can (16 oz) dark chocolate frosting
- Black food coloring
- ½ cup vanilla frosting
- 1 thin chocolate cookie (Famous Chocolate Wafer)
- 3 orange circus peanuts
- 2 white Jelly Belly Mint Cremes*
- 2 black round candies or brown M&M's
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A chopstick or wooden dowel
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cakes:
- Trim the top side of all of the bowl cakes to make level.
- Trim ½ inch from the curved bottom of one (1-quart) cake and place it wide side up on a serving platter. Spread the top of the cake with some of the chocolate frosting. Place the other quart cake on top, flat side down to make a ball.
- Repeat the trimming and assembling process with the 2 (12-oz) bowl cakes.
- Spread some frosting on the top of the larger ball and place the smaller ball cake on top as the head. Insert a chopstick or wooden dowel in the center to help balance the cakes (see template).
Frosting the cake:
- Tint the dark chocolate frosting black with the black food coloring. Spread the black frosting over the cake to cover and make smooth.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting in a resealable plastic bag. Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on the front of the larger round cake for the penguin's chest and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Cut the chocolate cookie in half with a serrated knife. Press the cookie pieces on either side of the cake for the penguin's wings.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe dots of frosting on the penguin's face and attach the Jelly Belly Mint Cremes for the penguin's eyes.
- Pipe a small amount of frosting onto the Mint Cremes and attach the black round candies (or brown M&M's) for the penguin's pupils. Dot a small amount of vanilla frosting onto the black round candies for the sparkle in the penguin's eyes.
- Trim 2 triangular notches into 2 of the circus peanuts with a small knife, as pictured, for the penguin's feet. Attach the feet to the bottom of the penguin's body.
- Cut one end of the remaining circus peanut into a triangle for the penguin's beak. Make a small slit perpendicular to the penguin's body in the center of the beak, as pictured. Place the mouth in the center of the penguin's face.
- Sprinkle the base of the cake with coconut.