Princess Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
Serves 10 to 12
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 1 Tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 cup dark-chocolate melting wafers
- 3 thin pretzel sticks
- 2 (3-inch) sugar cookies
- 1 (6-cup) small Bundt cake
- 1 cake baked in a 1-cup glass measuring cup
- Pink and white jelly beans
- 1 jar flower-shaped candy decorations
- 1 roll Bubble Tape
- 2 brown M&M's Minis
- 1 jar white and pink candy buttons
What you'll need:
- 4 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)
- A microwaveable bowl
- A bread knife
- A serving platter
- A butter knife
- Scissors or kitchen shears
For the pink and dark-pink frosting:
- Spoon 1 Tbsp vanilla frosting into a small resealable plastic bag.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it light pink. Reserve ¼ of the pink frosting in another small resealable plastic bag.
- Spoon another ¼ cup of the pink frosting into a separate bowl and add a few more drops of red food coloring to tint it a dark pink. Spoon the dark-pink frosting into another small resealable plastic bag.
For the princess's head:
- Press the 2 yellow gumdrops together and roll them out onto a slightly sugared surface. Cut out a 2 by 1 ½-inch crown, as pictured.
- Melt the chocolate melting wafers in a microwavable bowl until smooth, about 45 seconds. Spoon the chocolate into a resealable plastic bag.
- Snip a small corner from the bag of chocolate. Pipe a quarter-sized dot of the melted chocolate on the wax paper.
- Place the ends of the 3 pretzel sticks into the chocolate dot about ½ inch apart, allowing the ends to overhang on one side. Place a sugar cookie, flat side down, on top.
- Using the bag of chocolate, pipe the princess's hair onto the cookie, allowing the curls to flow onto the wax paper. Before the chocolate sets, press the crown onto one side of the head. Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set, about 10 minutes.
Trimming and frosting the cake:
- Using a bread knife, cut the top of each cake to make them level.
- Place the Bundt cake, trimmed side down, on a serving platter. Spread a bit of pink frosting on the top and place the measuring-cup cake, trimmed side down, atop the center of Bundt cake, as pictured.
- Spread the cakes with the pink frosting, reserving 2 Tbsp of frosting for the dress sleeves. Use a butter knife to spread the frosting in long strokes, from the top to the bottom of the cake.
- Cut the remaining sugar cookie in half with a serrated knife. Spread the cut cookie with the reserved pink frosting and place each half on either side of the measuring-cup cake for the princess's arms.
For the skirt decoration:
- Place the pink and white jelly beans along the base of the cake, alternating colors.
- Press the flower-shaped decorations around the skirt of the princess's dress.
- Cut the Bubble Tape into 3-inch lengths. For each bow, shape a loop from one piece of Bubble Tape, squeezing the sides of the loop together at the seam. Repeat with a second loop of Bubble Tape. Take two 3-inch lengths of Bubble Tape and use your scissors to taper one end while cutting notches into the other end for the bow's tails. Press the 4 pieces of Bubble Tape together to form the bow. Press the bow into the princess's dress for decoration. Add a pink candy button to the center of the bow.
To complete the decoration:
- Snip a very small corner from each bag of white, light-pink, and dark-pink frosting.
- Pipe light-pink dots along sleeves.
- Pipe dots of the darker pink around the neck line and down the front of the dress. Press the white candy buttons into each dark-pink dot.
- Pipe a dark-pink mouth on the cookie.
- Pipe white dots for eyes on the princess's face. Add the candy-coated chocolates for the princess's irises.
- Take the princess's cookie head and carefully insert the attached pretzel sticks into the top of the cake. Add extra pretzel sticks for more support if necessary.