- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 12 unfrosted cupcakes baked in green paper liners*
- ½ cup green decorating sugar (optional)
- ½ cup chocolate sprinkles
- 12 Lindt chocolate truffles
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 12 chocolate Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
- 72 yellow Runts
- 1 bag (12 oz) M&M's Minis
- 24 mini-chocolate chips
*Green paper liners can be purchased at Confectioneryhouse.com.
What you'll need:
- 3 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)
- A serving platter
- Pastry brush (optional)
For the white, red, and green frosting:
- Spoon ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Tint 2 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting red using the red food coloring and spoon it into another resealable plastic bag.
- Tint the remaining vanilla frosting green with the green food coloring.
For the green cupcake base:
- Spread the green frosting on top of the cupcakes evenly.
- Place the green sugar in a small bowl. Roll the edges of each cupcake in the green sugar to coat.
- Place the cupcakes on a serving platter.
For the spider critters:
- Place the chocolate sprinkles in a small bowl.
- Using the pastry brush or your fingers, coat the Lindt truffles with the light corn syrup. Roll the Lindt truffles in chocolate sprinkles to cover.
- Place one sprinkle-covered Lindt truffle on each frosted cupcake. Press a Hershey's Kiss, pointed side down, in front of the Lindt truffle. Add 3 yellow Runts on either side of each Lindt truffle for the spider's legs.
To finish the decoration:
- Snip very small corners from each bag of frosting.
- On the flat side of each Hershey's Kiss, pipe white dots for the spider's eyes and a small red line for the spider's mouth.
- Add the mini-chocolate chips, flat side out, for the irises.
- Pipe 3 dots of vanilla frosting down the back of the critter and stick the colored M&M's Minis on each dot.