Star Wars-Inspired Birthday Cake Design
How to make a Star Wars-inspired birthday cake with Twinkies
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 (13 by 9-inch) cake
- 4 Twinkies
- 1 can (16 oz) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- ¼ cup black coarse decorating sugar
- ¼ cup blue coarse decorating sugar
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 wafer cones
- 8 yellow Laffy Taffy fruit chews
- Blue food coloring
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 18 fun size Twix candy bars
- 3 Tbsp red decorating sugar
- 3 Tbsp green decorating sugar
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A small bowl
- Medium and small star-shaped cookie cutters
- 2 wooden skewers or chopsticks
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the cake to make level. Place the cake, trimmed side down, on a serving platter.
- Trim ½ inch from the rounded end of each Twinkie.
Preparing the decoration:
- Spoon the black decorating sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Heat the light corn syrup in a small bowl in the microwave until bubbly, about 5 seconds. Warning: hot corn syrup can burn and should not be handled by children. Quickly and lightly brush the outside of one of the cones with the hot syrup. Sprinkle the cone with the black sugar to cover the outside completely. Repeat with the remaining cone and sugar. Set aside.
- Unwrap the fruit chews and microwave for no more than 3 seconds to soften. Press 2 of the fruit chews together and roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out a 2 to 2 ½-inch star shape with a cookie cutter. Repeat to make 2 more large stars.
- Soften and roll out the remaining fruit chews. Cut out many small (3/4 to 1-inch) star shapes with cookie cutters. Reheat and reroll the scraps to make more stars if necessary.
Frosting the cake:
- Add enough green food coloring to ½ cup of the vanilla frosting to tint it green.
- Add enough red food coloring to ½ cup of the vanilla frosting to tint it red.
- Add enough blue food coloring to the remaining can of vanilla frosting to tint it blue.
- Spread the top and sides of the large cake with the blue frosting and make smooth. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the blue decorating sugar.
- Spoon the red and green decorating sugar into separate shallow bowls.
- Place 2 of the snack cakes, trimmed ends touching end-to-end, on a work surface. Insert a wooden skewer or chopstick through the snack cakes like a long corn dog, leaving some of the stick hanging out of the back. Spread the top and sides of snack cakes with red frosting. Sprinkle the top and sides with the red sugar. Using the stick and a long, thin spatula, carefully transfer the skewered Twinkies to the blue frosted sheet cake as pictured.
- Repeat with the remaining Twinkies, coating with green frosting and sprinkling with green sugar. Transfer the skewered Twinkies to the blue frosted sheet cake, as pictured. Remove the skewers from the snack cakes.
To complete the decoration:
- Place the black sugared cones at the base of each frosted Twinkie as the light saber handles.
- Arrange the yellow fruit chew stars around the rest of the cake.
- Arrange the Twix around the base of the cake to frame it.