- 1 cake baked in a (1 ½-quart) Pyrex bowl
- 2 (12 oz) cakes baked in ovenproof glass bowls
- 3 chocolate-frosted doughnuts
- 4 Ring Dings
- 2 cans (16 oz each) chocolate frosting
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 black jelly bean
- 2 brown M&M's
- 6 chocolate chips
- 2 Hershey's kisses
- 1 red candy heart
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A straw or a chopstick
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag
- 4 (1-quart) freezer weight resealable bags
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the tops of each of the bowl cakes to make level.
- Cut 2 of the chocolate frosted doughnuts in half for the ears and front paws. Set aside.
- Cut a (1 1/2-inch) piece from the remaining doughnut for the nose. Set aside.
- Trim a ½-inch slice from the rounded edge of each Ring Ding to form the legs. Set aside.
- Place the large bowl cake, trimmed side down, on a serving platter. Spread chocolate frosting on the trimmed side of one of the remaining bowl. Place the other bowl cake on top, flat side down, to form the teddy bear's head. Spread some frosting on top of the larger cake and place the smaller ball cake on top for the teddy bear's head. Insert a straw or chopstick down the center to help balance cakes.
- Spread some chocolate frosting on the cut ends of the doughnuts and attach to the cake as the arms, ears and nose (see template).
- Attach the Ring Dings to the base of the bowl cake for the teddy bear's legs with some chocolate frosting, setting the trimmed ends flat against the serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of vanilla frosting into the sandwich-size resealable plastic bag.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the warm water. Add the coffee to the remaining vanilla frosting and stir well. Spoon the frosting into a 1-quart resealable plastic bag. Press out the excess air and seal the bag.
- Divide the remaining chocolate frosting into 3 resealable bags. Press out the excess air and seal the bags.
- Snip a small, 1/8-inch, corner from the bags with all of the frostings.
- Pipe some of the coffee flavored frosting on the end of the legs and make smooth. Pipe frosting in a circular, curly motion on the belly area and inside of the ears.
- Create the teddy bear's fur by piping the chocolate frosting in a circular motion to cover the rest of the cake.
To complete the decoration:
- Pipe two white frosting dots for the eyes and press the brown M&M's into the center of each white dot.
- Press the chocolate chips and kisses into the bottom of the teddy bear's feet, as pictured.
- Press the black jellybean into the center of the snout for the teddy bear's nose.
- Press the candy heart onto the coffee frosting area.
See all Incredible Birthday Cake Designs