Turtle Birthday Cake Design
Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Green food coloring
- 2 (9-inch) round cakes
- 4 Funny Bones snack cakes
- 1 jumbo cupcake or muffin
- ½ cup chocolate frosting
- 2 green M&M's
- 1 tube black decorating icing
- 1 bag Tootsie Rolls
- 12 green Jolly Rancher Fruit Chews
What you'll need:
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A rolling pin or a heavy bottle
For the white and green frosting:
- Spoon 2 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Add food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it green
Trimming the cake:
- Place one 9-inch cake on a serving platter. Using a bread knife, trim the top to make it level.
- Spread some of the green frosting on top. Place the second 9-inch cake on top to make a 2-layer cake.
- Bevel the edges of the top cake to make the turtle shell's dome shape.
- Spread the top and sides of cake with the remaining green frosting; make smooth.
Assembling the cake:
- Trim 1 inch from one end of each Funny Bone. Press Funny Bones, cut side in, against the turtle-shell cake for the turtle's legs.
- Trim the jumbo cupcake or muffin and place in the front for the turtle's head. Spread chocolate frosting over the cupcake and make smooth.
For the icing decoration:
- Snip a small corner from the bag of untinted vanilla frosting.
- For the turtle's eyes, pipe white dots onto the cupcake head and attach the green M&M's. Pipe white dots on the M&M's.
- Pipe white dots on the tips of the snack cakes for the turtle's claws.
- Using the black decorating icing, pipe black eye brows and nostrils.
For the shell pattern:
- Press 3 Tootsie Rolls together. Using your rolling pin or a heavy bottle, roll the Tootsie Rolls out on a piece of wax paper. Use a sharp paring knife to cut the flattened Tootsie Rolls into hexagons of varying size. Repeat with the remaining Tootsie Rolls to make 7 brown hexagons.
- Press 2 of the green Jolly Rancher Fruit Chews together and roll out on a sheet of wax paper. Cut out a smaller hexagonal shape from the flattened green Jolly Rancher Fruit Chews. Repeat with remaining green Jolly Rancher Fruit Chews until you have 6 green hexagons.
- Arrange the chocolate and green hexagons on top of the cake as pictured.
- Press some of the Tootsie Roll scraps together and shape into a 2-inch cone. Bend slightly and attach as the turtle's tail.