- 4 graham crackers
- 1 (16 oz) family-size frozen pound cake (Sara Lee)
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- ½ cup coarse white decorating sugar
- 8 red Jolly Rancher fruit chews
- 8 blue Jolly Rancher fruit chews
- 8 large marshmallows
- 5 Kids Cones miniature wafer ice cream cones
- 4 yellow Jelly Belly Mint Cremes
- 1 cup blue decorating sugar, optional
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A serrated knife
- A baking sheet
- Waxed paper
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag
- Small and medium star-shaped cookie cutters
- A paring knife
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Trim the cake according to template. Save one large piece as the cockpit of the plane.
- Round the sharp edges of the cake sides and ends with a small knife.
- Cut the graham crackers following templates for the wings and tail of plane.
Preparing the decorations:
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Microwave the white chocolate chips and shortening, about 30 seconds, and stir until smooth. Spread both sides of the graham crackers with a thin layer of melted white chocolate. Sprinkle both sides with the white decorating sugar to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Unwrap the red fruit chews and microwave for no more than 3 seconds. Press 3 red fruit chews together and roll out to a 1 ½-inch by 6-inch rectangle. Roll out and flatten the remaining 5 red fruit chews and cut out the remaining shapes - two trimmings for the tail wings, two small stars for the tail fin, two medium stars for the wings (see photo).
- Unwrap the blue fruit chews and microwave for no more than 3 seconds. Press the 8 blue fruit chews together, roll out and flatten them. Cut out eight ovals to use as the airplane's windows. Cut a small rectangle and two small triangles for the airplane's front windows, as pictured. Set aside.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon ½ cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable bag. Set aside.
- Place the airplane cake base on a serving platter large enough for the wings and tail.
- Place one of the trimmed pieces on top of the larger end of the airplane body and attach with some of the vanilla frosting.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the cake to cover completely. Make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Cut 4 marshmallows down to fit into 4 of the Kids Cones. Snip a small corner from the bag of vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting onto the marshmallow and attach the yellow Mint Creme to the open end of cone.
- Trim 1 inch from the base of the remaining Kids Cone and attach to the back of the cake for the tail exhaust.
- Using some of the vanilla frosting, secure 2 of the Kids Cones on each side of the plane to support the wings.
- Pipe some of the vanilla frosting on top of the cones and attach the large graham cracker wings. Pipe some decorative frosting around edge of the wing where the wings touch the airplane's body to secure.
- Place a marshmallow on either side of the back of the plane to use as a support for the tail wings. Place the tail wings on top and secure by piping on a decorative line of frosting.
- Press the top tail fin into the top of the cake as pictured and pipe more frosting around the base to secure.
- Add the red and blue fruit chew decorations as pictured, piping frosting on as necessary to secure.
- Sprinkle the serving platter with blue decorating sugar to cover. Cut the remaining marshmallows into thirds, crosswise. Overlap the slices slightly to make clouds and place in the blue sugar, as pictured.