Step-by-step recipes, designs and color pics of the easiest (and cutest) birthday cakes for boys and girls
- 1 (13 by 9-inch) cake
- 1 can (16 oz) plus 3/4 cup vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring
- 3 packs of Fruit by the Foot red fruit leather
- 19 small white star candies
- 1 Tbsp blue decorating sugar
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- Pizza wheel or scissors
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the top of the cake to make level. Place the cake on a work surface, trimmed side down, and cut into thirds. Arrange the pieces on a large serving platter, stepping them down by 1-inch, from left to right (see template).
- Trim corners from center piece of cake.
Frosting the cake:
- Tint ¾ cup of the vanilla frosting blue with the food coloring. Spoon the blue frosting into a resealable bag.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on top of the cake to cover the top and sides and make smooth.
- Mark a 3 ½-inch square with toothpicks at the upper left corner of the cake. Snip a small corner from the bag with the blue frosting and pipe and outline of the square and fill in with the blue frosting. Spread to make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Cut the red fruit leather into 1/2-inch wide strips with pizza wheel or scissors.
- Starting at the top of the cake, arrange the fruit leather in wavy, parallel lines along the top edge of cake. Trim the ends. Repeat with 6 more strips, setting each strip about 1 inch apart.
- Arrange the candy stars on top of the blue frosting.