The death of an infant prompted a recall of about 635,000 Dorel Asia cribs. The drop side hardware can fail causing the drop side to detach from the crib. When the drop side detaches it creates a space in which an infant or toddler can become entrapped and suffocate or strangle. In addition, the recalled cribs can pose a serious entrapment and strangulation hazard when a slat is damaged. This can occur while the crib is in use, in storage, being put together, taken apart or reassembled; or during shipping and handling.
CPSC and Dorel Asia SRL received a report of the death of 6-month old child who became entrapped and strangled in a crib after the drop side hardware broke. The crib continued to be used after the parents tried to repair the drop side themselves. CPSC and Dorel Asia received reports of 31 drop side incidents. In six of those incidents, children were entrapped between the drop side and crib mattress. Three children suffered from bruises as a result of the entrapment. In addition, CPSC and Dorel Asia received reports of 36 incidents of slat breakage, including seven reports of bruises and scratches to children and two reports of entrapment that resulted in no injury.
The following Dorel Asia cribs are involved in the recall:
- Model Number (Front Rail): Description
- WM1633 (Drop side): 3-1 Sleigh Crib - Cherry
- WM1633-0 (Drop side): 3-1 Sleigh Crib - Cherry (no castors)
- WM1676BC (Fixed): 4-1 Bethany James Crib - Walnut
- WM1676BCR-DC (Fixed): 2-1 Crib -Walnut
- WM2163 (Fixed): 4-1 Crib - Manhattan Walnut
- WM2163DC (Fixed): 4-1 Crib - Manhattan Walnut
- WM1633-0-DC (Fixed): 3-1 Sleigh Crib (no castors)
- GP004B3EGR (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible - Espresso
- GP004B3WGR (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible - White
- GP006BCEGR (Drop side): Single - Espresso
- GP006BCWGR (Drop side: Single - White
- DA1615B3 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible Crib - Natural
- DAKM5132 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible Crib - White
- DASE5005 (Drop side): Cottage Hill Single Crib - White
- DASE5009 (Drop side): Vintage Estate 3-1 Sleigh Crib - Cherry
- DA0504KMC-1N (Drop side): 3-1 Heritage Crib - Natural
- DA0504KMC-1W (Drop side): 3-1 Heritage Crib - White
- DA1614B3 (Drop side): 3-1 Lexington Crib - Cherry
- DAKM5152 (Drop side): Single Jenny Lind Crib - Walnut
- DASE5015 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible - Toffee
The recalled cribs were sold at K-Mart, Sears and Wal-Mart stores nationwide from January 2005 through December 2009 for between $120 and $700.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled cribs, find an alternative safe sleeping environment for your child, and contact Dorel Asia to receive a free replacement kit. Consumers should log on to www.dorel-asia.com to order the free replacement kit to prevent child entrapment in these cribs. The repair kits will be provided to owners within the next several weeks.
Consumer Contact: Call Dorel Asia toll-free at (866) 762-2304 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm's Web site at www.dorel-asia.com.
Important Message from CPSC: CPSC reminds parents not to use any crib with missing, broken, or loose parts. Make sure to tighten hardware from time to time to keep the crib sturdy. When using a drop-side crib, parents should check to make sure the drop side or any other moving part operates smoothly. Always check all sides and corners of the crib for disengagement. Disengagements can create a gap and entrap a child. In addition, do not try to repair any side of the crib, especially with duct tape, wire or rope.
Visit CPSC's Crib Information Center at http://www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs/index.html for more information on Crib Safety and Recalls.
To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10114.html.